My New Favorite Book :)

Although it's been out for quite some time, I've never had the opportunity to read Next Door Savior by Max Lucado. Frankly, Mr. Lucado cranks out books so often, I find it hard to keep up with his latest book. But I stumbled on this one and I'm in love with how he portays my Jesus in this book. Here is my favorite excerpt...so far.

Sometime ago I was asked to play a game of golf. The foursome included two preachers, a church leader, and a “Matthew, B.C.” The thought of four hours with three Christians, two of whom were pulpiteers, did not appeal to him. His best friend, a Christ follower and his boss, insisted, so he agreed. I’m happy to report that he proclaimed the experience painless. On the ninth hole he turned to one of us and said, smiling, “I’m so glad you guys are normal.” I think he meant this: “I’m glad you didn’t get in my face or club me with a King James driver. Thanks for laughing at my jokes and telling a few yourself. Thanks for being normal.” We didn’t lower standards. But neither did we saddle a high horse. We were nice. Normal and nice. Discipleship is sometimes defined by being normal. A woman in a small Arkansas community was a single mom with a frail baby. Her neighbor would stop by every few days and keep the child so she could shop. After some weeks her neighbor shared more than time; she shared her faith, and the woman did what Matthew did. She followed Christ.The friends of the young mother objected. “Do you know what those people teach?” they contested. “Here is what I know,” she told them. “They held my baby.”I think Jesus likes that kind of answer, don’t you?

Happy Resurrection Day. He is risen, indeed!!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments: